You’ve arrived here because you hit the QR code for the Square Reader.
You need three things to make it work.
- Wifi hotspot ( from your personal phone)
- DORC phone, to be used as the point-of-sale device.
This is connected to your phone by wifi
- Square device
This is connected to the DORC phone by bluetooth
You only need to do the setup once. Following that, you can switch it on, wait for software upgrades (if needed) and proceed straight to sales.
- Check the setup the day before
- Set up your Wi-Fi hotspot
- Connect the DORC phone your Wi-Fi hotspot
- Connect the Square to the DORC phone
- Sell stuff
Square App Icon
The Square Device
1. Before the event
Charge the phone. Charge the Square
Take the time to try the phone setup on the day before the event. Often, the phone, the Square App and the Square itself need to download upgrades. Just let them do their thing.
2. Set up your phone Wi-Fi hotspot.
The Square will use your phone data. The volume is extremely low.
Instructions for iPhone and Android are here
All Square communications are encrypted.
Your phone security will not be compromised.
It is strongly suggested you set a password for your hotspot to prevent others using your phone for access
3. Connect the DORC phone to your Wi-Fi hotspot
If you have done this before, it should connect automatically.
From the top of the phone display, drag your finger down to reveal the device settings Menu
- Select and hold the Wi-Fi Icon to reveal the wi-fi settings.
A list of Wi-Fi networks will appear.
- Select the Wi-Fi hotspot from the previous step. You will be asked to enter the password.
- A status of Connected should be returned.
4. Check the Bluetooth Connection to Square
The square should connect automatically. If not, follow these steps
- Press and hold the button on the square reader to put it into pairing mode, four orange lights will flash
- In the Square App, open the menu. Go to Settings > Hardware > Connect a Reader
- Square should display with a status of Reader Ready
If not.. go here Wirelessly Connect Your Contactless + Chip Reader
5. Sell Stuff
Using contactless payments.
- Open the Square App
- Add items to your current sale, and then tap Charge.
- When you see one green light on the reader, it’s ready to take your customer’s payment. Ask your customer to hold their card over the reader to complete the sale.
- If they have a payment enabled phone. Tap that motherfucker
- If they have a chip card, insert that motherfucker (enter the PIN on the app).
- When you see four green lights, hear a beep, and see a confirmation in the Square app, the payment has successfully completed.
Then… sell more stuff
Pro tip: If you’re selling Jerseys, use the library icon to itemise the Jersey sale. This helps us with stock control.
Getting more help
- Square Support Center – AU
- What do the lights mean?
- Set Up the Square Reader | Square Support Center – AU
- Accept Payments with the Contactless + Chip Reader | Square Support Center – AU